Winter Wednesdays Overview
The winter is a special time to be in the forest. As the earth quiets down and the plants rest, a more subtle yet magical world is revealed. Come embrace this wonderful season and learn to love the outdoors all-year long.
We teach our core nature-connection Heartwood curriculum for this program.
Time: 9:30am – 3:30pm(varies by drop-off location)
Dates: Wednesdays (6)
January 13, 20, 27 & February 3, 10, 17 of 2021
- Monthly payment plan available
- $100 non-refundable deposit due at registration
Drop-off & Pick-up
Parents may drop-off & pick-up in town at Haw Creek Commons for van transportation or at Shope Creek Wilderness.
Shope Creek Wilderness
472 Shope Creek Road, Asheville, NC
Drop-off between 9:45 – 10:00am
Pick-up between 3:15 – 3:30pm
Haw Creek Commons (in-town)
315 Old Haw Creek Road, Asheville NC
Drop-off between 9:30 – 9:45am
Pick-up between 3:30 – 3:45pm
2021 Season – Registration is Closed
Winter Weather Safety
Unlike our other programs, Winter Wednesdays will observe the 2-hour delay and cancellation alerts as issued by the Buncombe County School system (BCSS). What this means is that if BCS cancels or delays the start of school due to unsafe winter driving conditions, so will Forest Floor.
Click here for more details on this policy and how to stay notified of these alerts. This information is also provided in the Confirmation Email sent upon registering.
After Camp is not available for this program.
Why Choose Forest Floor?
We help children have fun, be healthy, and achieve their fullest potential with nature connection mentoring.
- Health benefits of nature connection
- Learn wilderness skills & traditional crafts
- Meet new friends and reunite with old ones
- Unforgettable adventures every day
- Skilled and caring mentors
- Exciting wilderness experiences
- Convenient in-town drop-off & pickup
- Boost long term cognitive & social development
COVID Safety Policies
Spring Homeschool 2021
Our COVID-19 safety policy is based primarily on pre-screening and monitoring. It is our current position that the single largest preventative factor at our programs is the fact that we are open-air and outdoors(with the exception of van travel).
Pre-Screening and Monitoring
- We will take every child’s temperature each morning upon arrival. If any child registers a fever (thermometer reading of 100.4˚F or higher) or are showing any signs of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell) we will not allow them to attend. If during the program day a child displays signs or symptoms of illness they will be separated from other students and parents contacted to pick them up.
- All staff will be self-monitoring for symptoms of COVID-19. If they develop symptoms, they will notify their supervisor and stay home. Any staff person who develops symptoms of illness during the work day will be separated from students and other staff and sent home ASAP.
- While on Haw Creek Commons property (NOT our forested Shope Creek program location), everyone ages 3 and up are required by the owners of the property to wear a mask anytime they are less than 6 feet from another person.
- While in vans all students and staff are required to wear masks for the duration of the trip.
- At our Shope Creek Wilderness location children will not be required to wear masks, but will be fully supported if they choose to do so.
- Staff will wear a mask anytime they are less than 2 feet from another person.
- Children will wash or sanitize hands each day immediately upon arrival and throughout the day.
- Children are asked to carry a personal supply of hand sanitizer and will be asked to use it before and after activities that could result in cross-contamination.
We will do our best to fully support any child or staff who self-selects for more restrictive social distancing or mask wearing than the policies outlined above.