Forest Fridays Overview
Turn away from your screens, and walk out into the forest to experience the magic of Fall with our experienced nature connection mentors. The leaves turning vibrant colors as the weather begins to cool is a welcome backdrop to forest adventures after a long hot summer.
We’ll play games, go exploring, tell stories, learn new skills and connect with nature and community. It’s an exciting time to be in the forest with new discoveries and learning each week.
Time: 9:30am – 4:15pm
September 10 – December 17
Breaks on Oct. 15 & Nov. 26, 13 sessions
- Monthly payment plan available
- $100 non-refundable deposit due at registration
- Limited Partial Scholarships available (see below)
Registration is now open. Programs can fill fast.
Why Choose Forest Floor?
We help children have fun, be healthy, and achieve their fullest potential with nature connection mentoring.
- Health benefits of nature connection
- Learn wilderness skills & traditional crafts
- Meet new friends and reunite with old ones
- Unforgettable adventures every day
- Skilled and caring mentors
- Exciting wilderness experiences
- Convenient in-town drop-off & pickup
- Boost long term cognitive & social development
Drop-off & Pick-up
Parents may drop-off & pick-up at Shope Creek Wilderness. No in-town location for van transportation for this program.
Shope Creek Wilderness
472 Shope Creek Road, Asheville, NC
Drop-off between 9:30 – 9:45am
Pick-up between 4:00 – 4:15pm
We are currently exploring a number of potential After Care possibilities. If you are in need of After Care to make this program work for your family, or if you would simply be strongly interested, please send us a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know and we will keep you posted on our progress.
Clothing and Gear
Our programs are all-outdoors, with rain shelters available as needed. Children must arrive each morning fully prepared with a backpack, packed lunch, and clothes appropriate for being out in the weather. Families new to Forest Floor may need to purchase additional gear to ensure their children will be fully equipped for wet and colder weather as the season progresses. For a full packing and clothing list see our FAQ.
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
A family is eligible for either: (1) a full refund if the cancellation occurs before the start of the program; or (2) a pro-rated refund for any unattended program days; under the following conditions:
- Forest Floor cancels any programs due to COVID-19 or the Sars-Cov-2(novel coronavirus) pandemic.
- A family needs to cancel because they are directly adversely impacted by COVID-19 (job loss, illness, or caring for sick family members).
AND in the event of cancellation (either on our part or yours)if you are in a position to donate your registration as a scholarship it would be a huge help to both Forest Floor and families in need.
Please note: Our standard cancellation & refund policy will apply for all cancellations other than the two conditions listed above. See our FAQ for details on our standard refund policy.
We offer limited partial scholarships to individuals who otherwise could not afford our programs. We prioritize scholarships for people of color and single parents with financial needs. We understand that people of color experience more financial and institutional barriers to participation, and wish to help counteract that by offering scholarships.
If you are a family with means, please consider donating to our scholarship fund. Donations of a 1/4, 1/2, or FULL scholarship can be made during the standard registration process. For more substantial donations please contact us to discuss details.
Limited partial scholarships are available. Scholarship funds are generated exclusively from generosity of donations toward the scholarship fund. Scholarships are limited to the sum of these funds and are awarded based on equitable distribution. Full scholarships will be considered for families in great need, but most scholarship applicants should expect to pay at least half of tuition.
To apply for a scholarship please follow the link below to fill out the application.
COVID Safety Policies
Fall Homeschool 2021
Our COVID-19 safety policy is based primarily on pre-screening and monitoring. It is our current position that the single largest preventative factor at our programs is the fact that we are open-air and outdoors.
Pre-Screening and Monitoring
Any child arriving in the morning with signs or symptoms of COVID-19 will not be permitted to attend programs that day. If during the program day a child displays signs or symptoms of illness they will be separated from other students and parents contacted to pick them up.
- All staff will be self-monitoring for symptoms of COVID-19. If they develop symptoms, they will notify their supervisor and stay home. Any staff person who develops symptoms of illness during the work day will be separated from students and other staff and sent home ASAP.
- While in our shuttle vans all students and staff are required to wear masks for the duration of the trip.
- Children and staff will not be required to wear masks, but will be fully supported if they choose to do so.
We will do our best to fully support any child or staff who self-selects for more restrictive social distancing or mask wearing than the policies outlined above.